Sunday, June 5, 2011

Opensource Apps.... a primer

     What are Opensource apps? This is a question that I thought I knew the answer to. However, after spending a couple hours researching the topic, I realized that it isn't exactly what I thought it was.
     Initially, I thought that an opensource app was just a "free" application that could be used by anyone. What I didn't realize is that opensource applications have their source code available to be changed by anyone who was willing to change the code. Then, that person can also redistribute the changed app to whomever they want. To be considered an actual OpenSource application, the application must meet the 10 standards as developed by The OpenSource Initiative. The benefits of making an application OpenSource is that is will constantly improve through design changes by collaborative development. A few of the more popular OS applications are Mozilla's Firefox browser, the Linux Operating System, and the OpenOffice productivity suite. 
     I have used Firefox and OpenOffice regularly. Both are very effective at what they do. They are able to do exactly the same operations as their proprietary counterparts (Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office). 
     So, how are these applications licensed? After researching, I found out that there are literally hundreds of opensource licensing options out there. Some of the most common licenses are Apache, Common Public License, Mozilla Public License, and CDDL (Common Development and Distribution License). 
     By no means am I an expert on OpenSource applications, but I feel that there are several excellent applications available for use in education. The first is OpenOffice. Openoffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office. This is important to some teachers as they may assign projects to students who do NOT have access to Word Processing, Presentation, or Spreadsheet software at home. OpenOffice can be installed onto a jump drive, and sent home with the student to be installed onto their home computer. This allows the student to complete the assignment at home, at their convenience, rather than during school.
     Another awesome OS app that I am familiar with and really enjoy is Paint.net. This is a free image editing tool that can be used by anyone. It is very easy to learn and has some really neat tools included with the free program. 
     

5 comments:

  1. Love your title! I sat there on the page asking about our blog title for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out what to make it! Thanks for sharing the the paint.net. I have never seen or used the paint.net. I have learned a lot in regards to open source applications during my research and reading every ones blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used a few of your OS apps and also couldn't imagine my career without them. Isn't it refreshing to see that not everybody is out to make a buck? I'm sure that they receive compensation of some sort, but for the most part they are there for everybody to enjoy and use. Such a great concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank your for the two sites you gave us. Even though I have microsoft office, I would like to try out OpenOffice just to check it out. I am happy these resources are out there. A couple years ago, I did not have Microsoft Office and would have loved this alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Like your writing style too. Informative while not too long winded and easy to read. I've used Paint.Net too. It's pretty nifty! Now, is Paint.Net free or is it open source?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, I had to do a little research, and Paint.net is ONLY free now. From what I read, the code for Paint.net used to be available... But, it is now only a free application. Although, it is a very cool and easily learned free application.

    ReplyDelete